Saturday 12 March 2016

Compromise

I haven't felt particularly useful this last week as I've wrestled with my bug, a fever and some sleepless nights. I needn't have worried though, for while I was out of it, Callum has been creaming the re-cut from Northern Ireland.

This past week has been all about compromise and with me out of commission, Callum has stepped up emphatically. First we had to compromise on the editing software, choosing to cut on Premiere instead of Avid because we just couldn't get the systems to talk to each other properly. Then we compromised on the workflow because I wasn't able to string two thoughts together, effectively doing a retrograde cut where Callum is pulling out the grabs from the interviews of his own choosing while I will fill in the narration afterwards.

These aren't ideal situations to be in, but we're making real headway for the first time in a long time and you just can't argue when there's progress right in front of you. We may hit some issues later on in regards to getting the grade and audio mixes done, but for now the offline cut is coming together.

Because we're on opposite sides of the world, Callum is finishing his day when I'm starting mine. This means I can look over his work when I get up, make a list of notes for him to review, then cut and supply any vision I need to from my end to send back to him so it's ready when he wakes up.

This process is slowed considerably by our inability to get the Avid's (editing computers) to communicate, we just have to go with what is working and if that means many more hours spent creating mixdowns, transcodes, exports, conforms then uploading/downloading the whole lot, so be it.

There's still an awful lot of extra bits and pieces to sort out, music, titles, graphics, stills, on top of the grade and audio mix I mentioned earlier. We're also still looking for old photos/videos of NZ playing Australia, so if you know ANYONE who might have such material, please contact them for us.

We would love to have something/anything from every time NZ and Australia have met on the ice since 1987.



No comments:

Post a Comment