Monday 11 January 2016

Dubbing Dubnick

I've filmed 5 seasons of the NZIHL, which means when and where I did things in my sleep deprived state can be a bit of a blur.

I believe it was late in 2014 that I sat down with the 'mouth of the south' Dave Dubnick in Queenstown to record some fake commentary for the Ice Blacks games.

While the AIHL are now blessed with fantastic coverage through ATC Productions, the company and the technology both they and Slapshot Productions use to film and stream games were in their infancy.

There was no match coverage of the Ice Blacks and no commentary I could draw on to add drama to the action on screen, thus I would have to forge it.

Take deep breaths while I break the fantasy of television.

Sitting down to record the commentary was no easy feat, I was shooting a lot of tight cutaways rather than following the game and my camera was situated down at ground level against the glass. Commentators don't tend to call the game sitting on the shoulders of the players.. but how cool would that be.

Dave was an absolute trooper as we tried to piece together the games from 4 years ago through a mix of old game sheets and my footage. It was a battle, but Dave created some wonderful sound bites and those who don't read this or know otherwise won't believe he wasn't there calling the games.

Somewhat unbelievably Dave got a leg infection during our recording session and had to go to hospital before we could finish. He really put in the hard yards and fought through considerable pain to record some wonderful moments.

Did I mention hospital? When Dave said "my leg hurts", I should have understood that a cast iron man from the deep south would never utter such a phrase unless they needed serious medical attention. I foolishly pressed him on and feel terribly guilty for the fact.

It would be the following year at the crack of dawn just after Christmas at a small flat in Miramar that we would finish the recording of the commentary. Ahh the magic of television.

Today I am working through New Zealand's game against Serbia, pulling out Dave's best grabs and the best shots I got on the day. This will end up being about 10-15 minutes long before before I cut it down to the very best bits and a duration of about 5 minutes. When this part appears in the film, it could be shorter still and will likely have music behind it.

Think of Dave lying back in a hospital bed giving you a thumbs up when you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment